Job Openings >> Social Worker
Social Worker
Title:Social Worker
Department:Health and Human Services
Deadline:Open until filled.
Recruitment ends at 4:30 p.m. :N/A
Job Type:Full time
Hours per week:40 hours/week
Salary Range:$25.77/hour

Do you have the skills and desire to assess child abuse and neglect cases referred to authorities? Portage County has a full time Social Worker position in the Health & Human Services Department, Children & Family Services-Child Welfare Section.

Portage County offers an excellent benefit package for this position. Benefits include;

  • State of Wisconsin Retirement Plan

  • Health insurance- your choice of two health plans- (Health Savings Account associated with the High Deductible Health Plan with a County contribution)

  • Vacation

  • Paid holidays

  • Sick leave

  • Flexible spending account

  • Life insurance- premium paid by the County

  • Long term disability insurance- premium paid by the County

  • Dental insurance

  • 457B Deferred Compensation Plan

This is a brief summary of the job duties:

This position performs initial assessments of child abuse and neglect referrals in accordance with required standards, conducts safety assessments for children residing in the home, as well as those in out of home placements, petitions the Juvenile Court for child in need of protection or services (CHIPS) jurisdiction when mandatory service intervention is required to assure child safety, arranges for substitute care for children when necessary, assesses the service needs of family and makes referrals for community services when appropriate, and coordinates the safety and service needs of families through case management services.

These are the skills we are seeking:

Bachelor’s Degree in social work or other human services field required.

Certification or eligible for certification in Wisconsin as a Social Worker preferred.

One year experience in child protective services within the last five years preferred.

One year direct social work experience working with children and families or individuals with mental health or chemical dependency issues required. A Master of Social Work Degree may be substituted for work experience.


This opening is closed and is no longer accepting applications