|Title:||Assistant Commissioner/County Engineer|
|Deadline:||Open until filled.|
|Recruitment ends at 4:30 p.m. :||N/A|
|Job Type:||Full time|
|Hours per week:||40 hours/week|
|Salary Range:||Starting salary $78,514/year.|
Portage County has a professional opportunity available for the right candidate. Check it out!
This is a supervisory and administrative position responsible for the planning, design, supervision, and coordination of highway and bridge projects for the Portage County Highway Department. Independent judgment is exercised in determining work priorities; however, overall responsibility rests with the Highway Commissioner. The position provides supervisory and administrative support for all county and local bridge inspections in Portage County and will fulfill the requirements of the County Inspection Manager as required by Federal Highway Administration and the Department of Transportation (DOT). This position will assume the duties of the Commissioner in the Commissioner’s absence and shall assist the Commissioner with the routine operation of the department. This position will be included in the 24 hour on-call rotation with the other superintendents and will be available to supervise emergency operations as well as snow and ice control operations.
Some of the additional primary duties consist of:
- Prepares, schedules, and implements the department’s annual and long range work plan, projects, and programs.
- Coordinates various engineering and operational activities by planning and directing the work of staff, consultants, and private contractors.
- Prepares and/or supervises all DNR, Army Corps, FHWA, DOT necessary project permits.
- Coordinates and implements project schedules and budgets.
- Collaborates with, solicits, and assists Towns, Villages, and City officials in providing design, permits, maintenance, and construction activities.
- Assists the Commissioner with departmental personnel matters.
Additional duties detailed in the full job description may be obtained by contacting the Human Resources Department directly at: email@example.com
Bachelor Degree in Civil Engineering or related field required.
Registered Professional Engineer in the state of Wisconsin strongly preferred.
Federal bridge inspection certification is required within 12 months of hire. This position must maintain certification as the County’s Program Manager for the WisDOT’s Bridge Program.
Valid Wisconsin Driver’s License.
Five to seven years of experience in highway and bridge design and construction management required.
Three years of supervisory experience required.
Any combination of experience and professional training which provides the necessary knowledge, skills and abilities.